Saturday, November 03, 2012

Don Siegel finger painting

One of my favourite directors, with an impressive list of film to his name, including Riot in Cell Block 11, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Killing, Coogan's Bluff, The Beguiled, Dirty Harry, Charley Varrick and Escape From Alcatraz, all on my 'best film' ever list.
No matter what the subject matter Siegel's films were tightly told with a minimum of fuss and flair, yet were far more than just service, the lack of fuss gave them a muscular leanness and the lack of flair was more to do with not getting in the way of  the story rather than lacking in visual style.
Siegel's raw stripped down style, with great silent moments and direct, almost terse at times, dialogue found a great match in Clint Eastwood, who featured in many of Siegel's films.
Because I'm a fan I'm slightly disappointed by not doing a better job at capturing his likeness. In many ways he should be a perfect fit for my slightly Muppet-y cartoony style, but I didn't capture the twinkle in his eye. Still, it's not a bad likeness.

No comments: